Saturday, September 06, 2008

Sara Palin

I think it is time to clear things up now. In spite of my articles that I have posted to encourage thought about whether we should even vote for a ticket with a female included, I still believe that we have no choice but to vote for John McCain.

First off, the impact that Sarah Palin brings, is not only what she believes in, stands on, and fights for, but it also shows what McCain thinks is important. Secondly, no I do not think that Palin is as good example by running for public office with young children, but the way that she spends time with them, in spite of her schedule, and the way she tries, in spite of her position to be a help-meet for her husband is admirable. (she home-schools, yes even as governor, she brings the kids to the office with her, and even on the campaign trail, and yes she even still cooks the food for her family)

Thirdly, in spite of being a lame argument, one must also consider whom else to vote for, if not voting for McCain. Obama is not an option, period! One can vote third party, but that is only a protest vote, and yes, as a dear friend has brought to my attention, John Quincy Adams has said, "Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost." Yes, I can agree with him, your vote is never lost (even if it is only in protest). I must also agree with him that one must always vote his principles, but, I must also say that the only time you can totally agree with the person you vote for is if you vote for yourself. Am I to always vote for myself? No! Are there always going to be things I have to ignore to vote for a candidate, CERTAINLY!

Maybe you don't agree with a woman being the VP, but is that reason enough to not vote for McCain? Maybe you don't agree with a woman in public office, is that enough reason to not vote for Bush? (Condoleezza Rice was his Secretary of State, no less!) Reagan had many women in his cabinet (Secretary of Labor, Health and Human services for two of the more prominent persons), does that prevent you from voting for Reagan? Yes I realize that Palin would be only 1 death away from the Presidency, but Condi is only 3 deaths, and Pelosi is only two!

As a conservatives, we must pick our battles. I have chosen my main issues: Life and Marriage, and accordingly, I must support McCain. Palin only strengthens his stands on these issues. Obama's pick of Biden only puts him further away from these issues.

Let's face it; Barring an unforsceen event (such as health issue, or assasination) we will have either McCain or Obama as President come January. Which do you prefer?

3 comments:

James A. N. Stauffer said...

Very good and important points about looking at the choices on the whole instead of focusing too much on any bad parts of the choices (not to say that you should ignore bad parts).

Also, would you vote for Obama if the other major candidate was much worse? I would and my choice to not vote for him in this election is based on against whom he is running.

Another point: There may be times when you expect the winner to be someone for whom you would not vote so that you feel free to vote for candidates that probably have no chance.

Peter Pillman said...

Thanks for the insightful comment.

First off, I want to make clear that I don't want to fall into the defeatist mode of always figuring I am voting for the better of two evils. At the same time, I admit I feel like I am doing just that sometimes when I choose who to support.

Your question as to if I would vote for Obama if the other guy was worse... well, my gut reaction at this point is no, but... I think that is a decision totally predicated by the position I feel our country is in at this point, and the fact that I can not imagine the Republicans nominating someone that liberal withing the next few years. I have to admit that I haven't thought extensively on the subject, and have a hard time thinking of the possibility of someone more liberal than him having a chance at even getting the nomination of a major party. (with that said, if our country does slip that far... I really can't say what I would do) At this point I will take your point, and mull over it, earnestly praying that I don't ever have to make that decision myself!

Your third point is right on. There always does come a time, when your morals come in conflict with the person who is going to win, and that is where each person's own struggle begins, and I never want to tell a person to vote against their conscience.

Once again, you bring up excellent points, and I really appreciate it. My prayer is that our discussions can only cause us to look further into God's Word to continue to refine our opinions and standards so they gibe all the more with His perfect standards.
Thank you!

D3 said...

Numbers 13 talks about Moses sending in the scouts to see what their inheritance is going to be. God has promised this land to them and they simply need to follow God's commands to claim it. This is an easy slam dunk.

If you were one of the scouts, would you have sided with the majority saying it was unsafe to go in and lesser of 2 evils would be to stay in the desert.

OR... Would you have stood with the few thus siding with God ??? Think long and hard. What would you have done. It's easy sitting on the other side of the decision to say what we would have "liked" to do, but would we have actually done it with thousands of people watching, listening to our report.

Remember, anytime we limit our thoughts and choices (or vote) to the lesser of 2 evils, either outcome is still evil.

When we go to the polls this Nov, we all have a choice. Do we follow God's commands and choose a biblically qualified President, or do we quiver with the majority shouting "CHANGE.. CHANGE.. CHANGE.."

Food for thought.